Gantt chart graphically displays the duration and positioning of tasks in the timeline and the presence of dependencies (links) between them. It is located on the Gantt chart tab in the main Cerebro window.
The chart consists of horizontal lines, each representing a task in Cerebro, showing its length on a timetable, thumbnail and progress. The following controls can be found on the instrument panel, above the graphic display of task duration:
- Undo button to cancel/return user manipulations with tasks to original view;
- a calendar that allows you to set the date displayed on the timeline;
- Previous page/Next page buttons for scrolling through the timeline;
- Zoom in/Zoom out buttons to scale the chart and focus in on the desired area;
- Go To current task button to display the status of the current task on the timeline;
- View all button to automatically scale the chart of all tasks to the size of the window;
- Working schedules button for selecting a work schedule displayed on the chart;
- button to open the window to create/edit the Working schedule;
- buttons for exporting the contents of the diagram (in full or in separate sections) to a PDF file;
- Settings button for displaying information on the chart.
Changing the duration of a task
If you want to manually adjust task’s start date or length, you can drag the corresponding bar in the chart with your left mouse button. Note that time characteristics for this task are automatically set to fixed manual value, so they won’t be recalculated later.
Using context menu you can set fixed start and end points for a certain task. Those are equal to thumbtack buttons in Task Properties tab (see section “Task properties”) that define if a task has fixed or “floating” duration.
If a subtask is beyond its parent task timeframe, corresponding part of its chart bar will be painted in red.
Chart elements are grouped according to the hierarchy within projects, you may expand the list of sub-tasks by clicking on “+” icon to the left of selected task.
The displayed area is limited by time interval which is set at toolbar. You can adjust it using the scroll bar, or by dragging the contents of a window while holding middle mouse button.
To increase/decrease the horizontal zoom use mouse wheel with Shift button pressed. Similarly, while holding the Ctrl key, you can change the vertical zoom.
If you want to change the duration of tasks in the chart, or to establish links between them, you need to toggle edit mode using the Edit button on the toolbar.
Link is displayed as a colored chart arrow from the end of one task to the beginning of another, and indicates that the second task should be started only after the first is finished . If this condition is satisfied, the arrow is shown in green, otherwise (the task settings are set so that the condition is impossible) - in red.
You can link tasks in the chart by dragging a line from first task to second. To do this, “lock ” left mouse button at the end of a special circle in the task bar or draw a line from any point on the strip by holding down Ctrl. After the connection a colored arrow will apear and, if necessary, will be recalculated for the timing of related tasks.
You can see the connection of the selected task in the properties panel in the Communications list (see “Task properties”). It has the outgoing connections marked with the keyword to and incoming with from.
You can delete a link from the list using the Remove Communications command of the context menu. There is a similar command in the context menu of the diagram, caused by a right-click on the desired task.